About the British Coffee Association
The British Coffee Association (BCA) is the representative body of the UK coffee sector. The BCA exists to represent, promote and support all aspects of the UK coffee trade and industry.
We protect and promote the coffee trade and industry to regulators, politicians, the media and the public and represent our members on technical issues to regulators and UK Government.
Together, we work to ensure an accurate understanding of coffee and facilitate networking and training opportunities on behalf of our members. We foster a favourable environment for all aspects of the industry and its culture to thrive, both now and in the future.
The role of the BCA Communications & Public Affairs Manager is a crucial component in delivering this.
The Communications & Public Affairs Manager will:
Drive impact for the British Coffee Association
- Ensure that the BCA protects and promotes the industry to the media on the most significant industry issues, as well as influence key UK political stakeholders
- Liaison, and contact building with, national and international media contacts, as well as key UK political stakeholders
Enhance the relevance of the British Coffee Association
- Work closely with the various BCA Committees to identify opportunities for communications activities
- The successful applicant will work closely with the Chair of the BCA Communications Committee, assisting in the drafting of agendas, slide presentations, and taking a leading role in meetings
- Work with the Executive Director to develop BCA positions as determined by the Executive Committee
- Leads on the setting and delivery of the Association’s Communications Strategy
- Lead on the recruitment and management of external resources as appropriate to deliver BCA objectives
- Support opportunities to build closer relations with wider relevant stakeholders
- Support the delivery of educational initiatives for members e.g. webinars, events, and white papers
- Support the BCA in demonstrating value to help drive new membership recruitment
Become the industry authority
- Identify and support activities such as market research activities and surveys that provide unique perspectives on the UK coffee industry and owned data platforms
- Support identification of media campaigns that help to get the industry on the front foot through communications, rather than simply reacting to issues
- Support the Executive Director in the delivery of a long-range BCA strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Daily media monitoring and overseeing the monitoring services provided by third parties
- Press office management and fielding journalist enquiries
- Briefing and liaising with the Executive Director, as the BCA spokesperson, on appropriate media opportunities
- Management of BCA social media channels (twitter and LinkedIn)
- Development of KPIs for, and management of, external third parties which BCA may engage for the purpose of specific communication and public affairs activities as part of the Association’s ongoing work to deliver on its objectives
- Proven experience in communications and media liaison
- Ability to work within a small team and have a flexible approach
- Good communications skills, both oral and verbal
- Structured, proactive approach to working with ability to think ahead, plan time & react quickly to resolve issues.
- Knowledge of and competence in the use of required web-based media and IT technologies
- Willingness to work from home with attendance at office/ meetings as required
- A competitive salary package including pension
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays)
- Private health insurance
- Opportunity to develop contacts across the UK coffee sector
To apply for the post please submit a current Curriculum Vitae with an accompanying statement which sets out how the meet the candidate requirements. All applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 12th March. It is anticipated a first round of interviews will take place before the end of March.