Italian Ratafia and Amaretti Charlotte
A “Tiramisu flavour” Charlotte made with two varieties of biscuits almond Amaretti and Italian Ratafias. A very simple and highly effective dessert. Ideal as a convenient dinner party treat as it can be prepared in advance and then kept in the freezer.
You will need:
150g/5oz Amaretti biscuits
150g/5oz Italian Ratafias
150g/5oz Bisconova Savoiardi biscuits
150g/5oz Espresso or
strong instant coffee
500g/18oz Mascarpone cheese
650g/23fl oz Ready to serve custard
225ml/half pint Whipping Cream
4 tbsp Brandy or
Amaretto Di Sarrono (optional)
1. Mix together the coffee and brandy/Amaretto Di Sarrono in a shallow dish
2. Dip 16 of the Savoiardi biscuits briefly into the mixture
3. Press one side of 8 of the Savoiardi in icing sugar coating them thickly and then press the remaining 8 Savoiardi in Cocoa power
4. Use these to line a 18cm/7” Charlotte mould or cake tin, placing dipped sides against the sides of the tin and arrange them alternately. Trim last Savoiardi if necessary
5. Mix Mascarpone, cream and custard together and bet until smooth
6. Dip the Amaretti and Italian Ratafia biscuits into the coffee mixture leaving aside some Amaretti and Italian Ratafias for decoration
7. Spoon one quarter of the Mascarpone mixture into the savoiardi lined mould and place the Amaretti biscuits on top of the Mascarpone mixture in the Savoiardi mould
8. Sprinkle the top with a little cocoa powder
9. Spoon an additional quarter of the Mascarpone mixture into the mould and then place the Italian Ratafia on top of the mixture
Repeat steps 7, 8 and 9, finishing with a layer of Italian Ratafias. Cover the Charlotte with a double layer of foil and freeze overnight.To turn out the mould, dip the Charlotte briefly in hot water and tip out onto a pretty serving dish. Return to the freezer for 1 hour. Remove from freezer approximately 3 hours before serving to allow the Charlotte to defrost. Crush the remaining Amaretti biscuits and sprinkle over the top of the Charlotte to decorate.
Serve with additional whole Italian Ratafias and crushed Amaretti biscuits.